Wellbeing – We Can’t Drink From an Empty Cup
It is well recognised that staff working in the delivery of frontline healthcare services are six times less likely than other employees to access support to look after their own wellbeing. Barriers to connecting with support to look after ourselves include lack of time, concern that this might be perceived as ‘not coping’ and generally not giving ourselves permission to have some support. Essentially we’re the worst at practicing what we preach!
The benefits to prioritising ourselves and giving ourselves permission to look after ourselves are immeasurable and can make huge differences to our work and home lives.
What is available to support you?
A number of confidential services to support your health and wellbeing have been established to support you during these challenging times.
- The https://people.nhs.uk/lookingafteryoutoo/ is a free to access, confidential Coaching support, established to support all staff involved in the delivery of frontline Primary Care services. The service is available 7 days a week and can be accessed directly through the above link.
- The https://people.nhs.uk/lookingafteryourteam/ is a free to access, confidential Coaching support for those who lead, manage or organise a team or group in primary care. The service is available 6 days a week and can be accessed directly through the above link.
- A wider suite of support offers including a confidential staff listening helpline, text service, access to a range of free wellbeing apps and access to a range of bitesize resource guides is available for you to access at https://people.nhs.uk/
- Nimbuscare staff can access the Care First Zest platform which can help you find coping mechanisms to handle situations life may throw your way. Download details of how to access this app here and here
What have others said about the Coaching?
“What an absolutely fabulous and uplifting service that is so very much needed during these difficult times. So supportive, encouraging and enabling. I would not hesitate in a moment to recommend this to my staff, colleagues, friends and acquaintances. It is a truly amazing process that enhances your wellbeing and feeds your soul. You are a rainbow in my clouds!! Thank you so so much” (Practice Manager)
“It was a great platform to talk through fears, concerns and future plans which have been plaguing me in recent months. My coach was amazing, in the 3 sessions- I really feel like he helped me bring about a change in my thought process. It was refreshing and much needed to be listened to as often in the NHS you feel like you are just a commodity to provide a service rather than a human with emotions” (Salaried GP)
“It was so helpful to realise that after 40 yrs in the NHS, this was the first time that I have seen active reaching out to staff to see how they are. It moved me to tears on getting the #lookingafteryoutoo emails. The booking was easy to arrange, plenty of helpful reminders, a good preparation document and summary sheet to complete. Very well thought through processes. As for the session I was nervous but my coach made me feel relaxed and just listened as it all tumbled out in a jumbled fashion. We gradually made a plan to meet again but it was my choice with my agenda. I found it sobering to be offered this for free. yes I am on the front line and yes I am exhausted but very grateful for this gift. Thank you.” (Advanced Nurse Practitioner)
I was finding things really hard, I was getting behind, beginning to feel really stressed and undertaking tasks but not really caring….I am now more on top of things…it makes me feel so positive when I notice what I am doing and can put the coaching into practice. (Pharmacist)
- posters for #Lookingafteryoutoo and #lookingafteryourteam which can be printed and put up on staff areas
- Comms briefing pack for the YouToo offer